Recently I had the conversation with a friend about how to put together an outfit and how to take it from good to great. To me, this is a simple process, and what I consider to be one of my gifts.
However, I realize that many women are challenged in this area and find it hard to see what works and what doesn’t with the same clarity. So I want to share with you my expertise and offer guidelines to help you create great outfits time and time again.
My basic steps to taking an outfit from good to great:
1. Start Strong– When building an outfit, it’s important that you begin with a good base. This will be the anchor of your outfit and may very well be a core item. Here, I used dark wash jeans.
These are a staple for many women, they work well for multiple occasions and can be dressed up or down. Also try black pants, brown pants, a charcoal skirt, a caramel skirt…
2. Top it Off– Next you’ll add in a top. Keep it simple in terms of fit and adornment and opt for a print rather than texture for the most versatile look. Stripes, animal prints, polka dots or solids in brights or neutrals work well here.
Top can be a tank or a short or long sleeved tee. Instead of limiting yourself to the basic white or black top, ask yourself what’s unexpected and try new color combinations or layer textures to create a look that’s fresh and up to the minute.
3. The Third Layer– Jackets, to me, are the piece that elevate your look and that take it to the next level. Opt for one that speaks to your style and expresses your personality. Have a little fun with it and don’t be afraid to go a little bold, colorful or more ladylike, depending on your style personality.
4. FootWear– Sure you could wear your most neutral black shoes, but why not kick your look up a notch with shoes that punctuate your style. Instead of basic (and boring) black pumps, opt for animal print, a bold color or something else that will make your style memorable. If you’re a boot gal, rock your favorite pair of boots and see how great they make you feel.
5. Accessories!– Accessories are what can take an outfit from simple to sassy and give it a whole new look. Instead of playing it safe, opt for a bold necklace and bracelet in multiple strands of pearls.
Create a theme and be sure your metals match, your textures are complementary rather than competing and that the look is all you!
So here is an easy 5-step formula that you can follow to create an outfit that is greater than the sum of its parts. Taking note of each step will help you to build outfits over and over that look chic and pulled together. But remember, wear what you love and love what you wear!